Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program
The Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP) is a more popular program in the Canadian Provincial Nominee Programs. Manitoba nominates new entries for permanent resident through the MPNP.
This program first launched in 1998, more than 130,000 immigrants to Canada arrived through this program. Manitoba is committed to increase that number in the years ahead.
The MPNP has been undergoing a slow transition over the past several years, called the MPNP Renewal, although the transition has experienced significant delays and still has yet to be complete.
Many of the new pathways to a provincial nomination will be structured within the currently existing International Skilled Worker stream, which will continue to operate in its current guise until more changes come into effect. The current MPNP criteria for this stream, which is divided into the Skilled Workers Overseas and Skilled Workers in Manitoba categories, remains in effect for Expressions of Interest (EOIs) and the receipt of applications by the province.
There are to be four streams under the revamped Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program, which includes a range of what the province is now calling ‘pathways’.
Skilled Workers Overseas Stream
- Express Entry Pathway: First launched in January, 2018, the Manitoba Express Entry Pathway is a way for candidates in the Express Entry pool to be nominated for permanent residence. Successful applicants are awarded 600 additional Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points, resulting in quick issuance of an invitation to apply for permanent residence and fast-track processing.
- Human Capital Pathway: Immigration to Manitoba through the Manitoba Human Capital Pathway (HCP) is one of the upcoming changes to the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program, originally scheduled to come into effect in 2019, but now delayed through 2020.
Skilled Workers in Manitoba Stream
Manitoba immigration authorities are still inviting candidates to apply to the Skilled Workers in Manitoba Stream. Below are a couple of new pathways.
- Manitoba Work Experience Pathway: The Manitoba Work Experience Pathway of the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program targets skilled temporary workers and graduates in Manitoba who wish to settle in Manitoba as permanent residents.
- Employer Direct Recruitment Pathway: The Employer Direct Recruitment Pathway targets skilled workers overseas whose expertise is required in Manitoba.
International Education Stream
- Career Employment Pathway: International graduates of universities and colleges in Manitoba can look to the Career Employment Pathway as their potential route to permanent residence.
- Graduate Internship Pathway: The Manitoba Graduate Internship Pathway provides nomination pathways for international graduates of a Master’s or Doctoral (PhD) study program who then complete an internship contributing to industry innovation in Manitoba.
- Student Entrepreneur Pathway: The Manitoba International Student Entrepreneur Pilot provides international students who have graduated in Manitoba the opportunity to pursue entrepreneurship in Manitoba.