A Permanent Canada Visa is a visa which allows the holder to stay in Canada permanently. It is an immigration visa, just like the Green Card is for the United States. Once you get a Permanent Canada Visa, you can move to any province of Canada, live, work, and study there. You are considered a Canadian Permanent Resident.
Once your visa is approved, you will get a Permanent Resident Card. This card, otherwise known as a Canadian PR Card proves that you have permanent residence in Canada. You must have it with you at all times, especially when you travel. You must be at least 18 years old to apply and you can apply with your child if they are under 18 years old.
Benefits of a Canada Permanent Visa:
As a Canada Permanent Resident, you are allowed to do the following:
You can get most social benefits that Canadians get such as health care coverage;
You can live, study, or work anywhere in Canada;
You get protection under Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms;
You can apply for a Canadian citizenship once you are eligible;
To get these benefits though, you must regularly pay Canadian taxes and respect the laws. Even if you are a permanent resident of Canada, you are not allowed to vote or run for political office as well as hold jobs that need high-level security clearance.
an initial (first) PR Card
renewal of a PR Card that has or will soon expire or
replacement of a PR Card that has been lost, stolen or damaged.
Canada immigration PR programs
There are different immigration programs or visa categories available, under which you can apply for the Canada permanent residency visa.
- Skilled Immigrants Program (Express Entry)
- Federal Skilled Worker( FSW)
- Federal Skilled Trades Program ( FST)
- Canadian Experience Class ( CEC)
- Start-up visa ( for applicants who have a business idea and need someone to fund it)
- Investors Entrepreneurs and Self Employed
- Quebec Skilled Workers Program ( QSWP)
- Provincial Nominee Program(PNP)
Benefits of getting Permanent Residency:
Permanent residents enjoy several benefits in the country. Some of these are listed below:
- With a resident visa, you get a study permit and work permit. So, with the work permits, you can work anywhere in Canada.
- You can apply for Canadian Citizenship (once you become eligible)
- Social and family security services
- You are protected under the Canadian law
- You can get Health care and most of the other benefits which a Canadian Citizen receives
- Free education for children and social provisions for the entire family
- Accessibility to the USA